This recipe was another you could always count on seeing at any holiday gathering. It is really easy to make and very delicious. Make sure you follow the directions and put the icing on the cake while it’s still hot. The icing melts down into the top of the cake and makes it extra moist. Once it’s cool, you can cut it into squares or bars.
Grandma Furnish’s Texas Sheet Cake
Sift together in a mixer bowl:
- 2 cups flour well sifted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
Add and mix well:
- 2 cups sugar, white
Bring the following to a boil while stirring well; then add to the dry ingredients with the mixer on low:
- 8 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup water
Then add the following; mixing well between each egg:
- 2 eggs
Add to the batter, and mix an additional two minutes:
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the Icing:
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 pound sugar, powdered stirring until smooth.
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Mix the batter well (about two minutes) and pour into prepared jelly roll pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until cake springs back in the center.
- Prepare the following icing while the cake is baking and pour over the top of the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Add confectioners sugar and chopped nuts, stirring until smooth.
- Pour over cake right out of the oven, cool before cutting.