- 1 head cabbage cored and shredded
- 5 pounds potatoes peeled and rough large diced
- 1 pound bacon diced
- 1 stick butter, salted cut into dice
- 1 teaspoon salt, kosher
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Prep potatoes, add to dutch oven and cover with cool water. Put on medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Cook the diced bacon on medium low at the same time as the potatoes. Cook until crisp, and pull to the side when cooked.
- Prep cabbage and add to potatoes after 15 minutes at the boil. Continue to cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and cabbage and return to the pot on low heat until the extra water has dried.
- Add bacon along with the fat from the pan, butter, salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher until well combined but potatoes should not be completely smooth.
- Grab a spoon, you’re done!