Grandma Furnish’s Texas Sheet Cake
Prepare one jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides) by greasing and flouring, set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift together in a mixer bowl:
- 2 cups flour well sifted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
Add and mix well:
- 2 cups sugar, white
Bring the following to a boil while stirring well; then add to the dry ingredients with the mixer on low:
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup water
Then add the following; mixing well between each egg:
- 2 eggs
Add to the batter, and mix an additional two minutes:
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the Icing:
- 1 stick butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 pound sugar, powdered stirring until smooth.
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Mix the batter well (about two minutes) and pour into prepared jelly roll pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until cake springs back in the center.
- Prepare the following icing while the cake is baking and pour over the top of the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Add confectioners sugar and chopped nuts, stirring until smooth.
- Pour over cake right out of the oven, cool before cutting.